PDA

View Full Version : Game crashes when trying to start it after extracting UI files.

Morkhino
10-09-2009, 04:14 PM
As the title says: I extract the files into the correct folder (.../documents/the lord of the rings online/), and get the folder "UI" at that location.
When I then try to start the game, it gets past the login, then the game tries to load, and it crashes.
As soon as I remove the "UI" folder, the game starts just fine again.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Raxnor
10-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Make sure to use lower case for the "ui" folder, hope that helps :D

Morkhino
10-10-2009, 03:41 AM
Already tried that one, didn't work :P
But thanks nonetheless ;)

daimon
10-10-2009, 06:12 AM
that's very odd. apparently it has to do something about the UI files if it crashes only when the files are there. which UI is in question ?

Morkhino
10-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Tried it with DaimonUI, LM Eorlingas and LM Durin's folk..

Vidrimiir
10-11-2009, 06:10 PM
On my Vista box, the UI files are under ui/skins/. Below skins is the directories for the different UIs. Not sure if that's your problem or not, but that's what I see on my system.

Brygard2007
10-11-2009, 06:36 PM
As Vildrimir stated,make sure you also have a folder called skins.

You put the UI skin in that folder not in ui folder.

Example of my UI:
C:\Users\Brygard\Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\ui\skins\black glass mix red v 2.4 .

Also only starting from the folder ui should be lower case lettering,the folder (The Lord of the Rings Online) should be left alone with its capitol letters on.

Just incase you might have already read the faq or not but here's the link:
http://www.lotrointerface.com/forums/faq.php?faq=lotro_interface#faq_installation

daimon
10-11-2009, 07:02 PM
But that shouldn't cause game to crash now shouldn't it ? If the files were in a wrong folder then the UI wouldn't just load with the game.

maybe it has something to do with slashes and backslashes \ , / as Europeans and US have those a bit mixed up.. dunno. I'm quite clueless.

Brygard2007
10-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Wow didn't know that daimon.(Seriously)

Are you using vista or xp Morkhino?

Morkhino
10-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Using Vista.

faldiin
10-15-2009, 12:18 PM
I just returned to the game and I am getting the same issue. This is a brand new install. I turned on Admin since I am on Win 7 and still is happening. I am able to get into the game after a couple of tries.

Faldiin

daimon
10-15-2009, 06:23 PM
weird. I don't think none of us can help much here. Maybe Frosty would have some ideas ?

faldiin
10-19-2009, 09:45 AM
After working on the issue more I have discovered the issue. When LOTRO launches after you sign in, Windows turns off Aero. If you are doing anything at that time like web browser or IM then you have a 75% chance of crashing. You will see the game switch and then crashes with no error and Aero turns back on.

Now if I don't do anything then 1 out 10 times it will crash anyways. I dont know why LOTRO turns off the Aero. I am not running in Window mode. I am guessing there is an issue on the programming. I did not have this issue back in June when I first started playing.

I am not sure if there is anything we can do about it. But in 2 weeks people will start flooding the market with Win 7. I can see the complaints starting if this is not addressed. I will post this in LOTRO forms also. Now will all that said I am on RC so maybe RTM is not having the issue.

Faldiin