PDA

View Full Version : Help a new user out? Info/advice?

nfarnham2001
04-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Okay I have looked over this site at the compilations and packs and found a few I like, but maybe you all can help steer me in the right direction.

The main things I am looking to change or modify is the action bar/main bar resuming something similar to Black Vellum Toolbars (which I can download and use) I was also looking for something to make the bag windows minimal with just a square line border and interior, as well as all the other windows, like crafting, character, skills, etc to have the same basic minimalistic border and black backround. Also anyway to change or modify in game fonts?

I like the quest tracker star addon, the black vellum toolbars addon, the transparent map tracker, and busy bee tasks.

Would I also need, or should I download the Modmanager Uibuilder and Plugin manager addons as well?

Sorry about the above wall of text, I am just new to UI's in LOTRO and never scripted or done my own, and trying to find out all I can about what is updated, and what works, and what I would need to change. Thanks!

Also if this is in the wrong area, I apologize.

Digital_Utopia
04-29-2011, 02:37 AM
Well, we all gotta start somewhere right? :D

First thing's first - in this game, skinning and plugins are two completely separate entities. To put it simply (if not almost entirely accurately) plugins are for creating new UI elements, while skinning is to modify existing ones. So, as you probably can figure by now - a plugin manager isn't going to help you much, as almost everything you listed would be handled by skinning.

The lone exception would be fonts - there is no way to modify those for existing elements.

Skinning is essentially XML based, and a nice example covering most (if not all) skinnable elements is included with the latest skin pack. This pack not only contains an example definition file, but the majority of images the game uses, so you can use those as an example for creating your own graphics, and change size/position via the XML skin definition. I do believe there should be some kind of app out there that may assist you with showing a preview, but to be honest, I don't know for sure. My only experience with skinning has been to assist me with other projects - so hopefully one of the more experienced skinners can give you more information on that.

Now for bad news part 2:

The latest game update introduced at least one new window, and a major redesign of the character panel. Unfortunately, Turbine hasn't yet released an updated skin pack - so for right now, skinning the character panel and wallet is iffy at best. However, there should be nothing stopping you from modifying the other UI elements in the way you describe.

Hopefully someone with a bit more experience with skinning will chime in and fill in what I'm unsure about or didn't mention. But, at any rate - I hope this at least gives you a nice overview :)

nfarnham2001
04-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the help.

After about an hour or two of deep reading and messing around, I downloaded the Black Vellum UI Skin, and then modified the XML to get the minimap, map, vitals, how I want them, and then left all else like it was. Still learning though lol.

ZhuHanuku
04-29-2011, 09:36 PM
After about an hour or two of deep reading and messing around, I downloaded the Black Vellum UI Skin, and then modified the XML to get the minimap, map, vitals, how I want them, and then left all else like it was. Still learning though lol.

Excellent! I hope it wasn't too difficult. Let me know if you have any suggestions for Black Vellum.