PDA

View Full Version : Notepads

Justin12221
09-14-2010, 09:45 PM
This possibly has been suggested before, but has anyone thought of making an in-game notepad? Sometimes when playing, I get these ideas and plans, and it's hard to remember long enough to find a stopping point and struggle to get to desktop to save it there. Especially when I'm tired and forgetful.

Olenn
09-15-2010, 12:07 AM
Acctually, someone already did. Chiran posted it on the 9th.

http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info369-Lotropad.html

Keep your eyes open for a full review in the next few days on http://www.lotroui.com

Justin12221
09-16-2010, 01:07 AM
This is good, because now, I have something to put reminders on while in the game.

Is there a plugin that makes my hp and sp bar appear above my character? Maybe also the buffs and debuffs and status effects too?

Elentir
09-16-2010, 05:41 AM
Yes there is. You can find the Palantir plug-in in the download section. There aren't that many plug-ins posted for now, so you should have no trouble finding it.

MrJackdaw
09-16-2010, 11:43 AM
There aren't that many plug-ins posted for now, so you should have no trouble finding it.
For some odd reason this made me giggle!

Justin12221
09-16-2010, 04:50 PM
I already have the Plantif, but thanks. I meant like how the bars appear above allies and enemies. Is it possible for one to appear above my character?

Digital_Utopia
09-20-2010, 07:04 PM
I already have the Plantif, but thanks. I meant like how the bars appear above allies and enemies. Is it possible for one to appear above my character?

I would have to say no...creating such a bar would be a cakewalk, but the positioning is the tough part. Essentially, there's no way for plugin authors to tell exactly where your head is to place something over it.

Olenn
09-22-2010, 08:28 PM
I wonder if you could detect the zoom level to place the bar. That way you would set the position of the bar and then the bar would move up or down in relation to how far in you zoomed. You could potential scale the bar to to give it some depth perception...this would only work on your toon obviously.

This is of course dependant on if the API can tell what the zoom level is.

Digital_Utopia
09-22-2010, 09:04 PM
I wonder if you could detect the zoom level to place the bar. That way you would set the position of the bar and then the bar would move up or down in relation to how far in you zoomed. You could potential scale the bar to to give it some depth perception...this would only work on your toon obviously.

This is of course dependant on if the API can tell what the zoom level is.

Unfortunately not...but it is possible to tell if the user is scrolling their mouse wheel. Unfortunately again, this requires the pointer to be over a Lua-created element that is set to be MouseVisible. That in itself isn't that tough...however if the pointer is over something that is MouseVisible, that means it intercepts all mouse events, interfering with actually playing the game.

But yes, technically it's possible to kinda wing it, assume that the player is at the default zoom level (i.e. when they zone in) and adjust the size/height appropriately. However, if you start thinking about all the other variables besides zoom - like a camera that changes zoom on its own (due to being too close to something), or the user moving the camera at some other angle - then it's not likely to be even worth it at this point.

But that would be pretty cool to have access to player and camera position/orientation. I know one project I've been messing with that would definitely improve with that kind of information.

Olenn
09-22-2010, 09:50 PM
I see what your saying about the auto camera zoom, I didn't think about that. Simply getting mouse wheel input would not work very well, I think, because of the inherrent "overscroll" I assume that most people do when zooming in and out.

Man, my ideas are 0-4 today...lol...maybe I will get one tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Digital_Utopia
09-22-2010, 11:46 PM
I see what your saying about the auto camera zoom, I didn't think about that. Simply getting mouse wheel input would not work very well, I think, because of the inherrent "overscroll" I assume that most people do when zooming in and out.

Man, my ideas are 0-4 today...lol...maybe I will get one tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Don't worry about it, I have those kinda days all the time. :D

As much as they suck, every once in a while, I'll get a crazy idea that does work - and that makes up for all the strikeouts and then some lol

Olenn
09-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Hmmm, l maybe I should attempt to learn Lua so I could start answering my own questions...

But, I am glad for what you and the rest of the devs bring to the community...

Digital_Utopia
09-23-2010, 12:57 AM
Hmmm, l maybe I should attempt to learn Lua so I could start answering my own questions...

But, I am glad for what you and the rest of the devs bring to the community...

If you've ever had any experience with any sort of scripting language - you'll find that you get used to it pretty quickly, even if you do make some mistakes due to habits from other languages in the beginning.

Now I'm not going to say you'll turn into an expert overnight, heck - I wouldn't even say that I'm an expert, but you should become adequate fairly quickly.

I mean, before Turbine introduced this in beta, I knew absolutely nothing about Lua; but....I have varying amounts of experience with PHP, JavaScript, ActionScript (Flash), and a little bit of C# and Java. Once the logic is down, everything else is just semantics or syntax. :p

Olenn
09-23-2010, 01:43 AM
Yeah I have experience with several different langs, I am giving it a try now, we will see what comes out :P

MrJackdaw
09-23-2010, 10:30 AM
My favourite mistake is to write "if foo=1 then ..." and wonder why nothing works. Every single time... *sigh*